Having seen that it was so-called National HIV Testing week via Facebook, I thought I would investigate this a little more and found that it is in fact European HIV testing week.
Of course, using the European dimension may not attract everyone’s attention and may drive others away. But as we live in the UK which is part of the European Union, it seems a sensible move to me.
I am sad to report that there appears to be no organisation taking this on board that operates on the island of Ireland. Perhaps Positive Life or The Rainbow Project could look at doing this here in Northern Ireland next year?
Even better could the Public Health Agency look at developing a website to go along with all the others that they have:
- www.aaascreening.info (abnormal abdominal aneurysm)
- www.choosetolivebetter.com (are you overweight or obese?)
- www.hphlibrary.com (offline for maintenance)
- www.knowyourlimits.info (alcohol awareness)
- www.mindingyourhead.info (mental health)
- www.want2stop.info (smoking)
- www.10000voices.info (10,000 voices survey)
There appears to be an absence of awareness about HIV in the range of websites? Surely the Department of Health, Social Services & Public Safety could find some money somewhere to do this?